In other news, I’ve decided to stop development on ScummVM Quick And Easy. Improvements to ScummVM have meant that its far easier to use than its command line driven ancestors, and planned future features such as game autodetection and a new prettier gui call into question the need for a frontend like Q+E. I cant really call a frontend ‘quick and easy’ when it requires you to choose the location of your game and an appropriate target while ScummVM can auto-detect the game itself. Additionally, changes such as the merging of multiple game targets into 1 make it much harder for ScummVM Q+E to co-exist in a clean way with ScummVM.
As promised I’ve released a new version of Psychonauts Explorer.
New in version 1.2:
- File search tool.
- Partial (and experimental) support for the PS2 version.
- File dumping has been completely overhauled – now files never get overwritten.
- Better handling of duplicate files within archives.
- Xbox version – a few image files were listed as tga so couldnt be viewed.
- PC Demo Version – In the .pkg file some file types were incorrectly recognised.
- Image previews are now larger and proportional to the window size.
- Renamed the level models and added the correct file extension.
- New program icon.
- Added icons for all filetypes.
- Filetype icons now shown in the view menu.
- Some other minor cosmetic changes.
PS2 support is only partial, around half the files are displayed and it may not work with some versions of the game. If you want full PS2 support see this post.
Download the new version here.
A new version of Psychonauts Explorer will be out within the next week or so and will feature limited support for the PS2 version along with the usual array of bugfixes and changes.I’ve been having real trouble deciphering the file format for Psychonauts PS2. Part of the problem is the sheer size of the file – its 3gb. I hear on the grapevine though, that a demo of the PS2 version exists. It would really help if I could get hold of the demo files, if anyone out there has the demo please let me know.
Also, if anyone knows about image formats and techniques, particulary those used on the PS2, take a look at this thread and see if you can help.
Yes, its another one.
Bone Ttarch Creator – a program that enables you to create .ttarch files so that you can edit the game content.
Announcing version 1.1 of Psychonauts Explorer. A lot of development time has gone into this release, the most important changes are:
- Now uses a new audio decoder created by John Doe. As a result:
- The xbox audio codec is no longer needed. Audio files are now dumped to normal wav files.
- Every audio file in the pc version now plays correctly as do 99% of those in the xbox version.
- You can now view/save the artwork and textures from each level. (Look inside the .ppf level files).
- Fixed problems with the Xbox version – the previous release didnt work correctly with the .ppf and .pkg files. This was due to a silly mistake on my part.
- Added ‘raw dumping’ for xbox audio files – it was accidentally left out of the last release.
Get it here.
It’s been brought to my attention that the current release of Psychonauts Explorer doesnt work correctly with the Xbox version – specifically the .ppf and .pkg files. This was due to a silly mistake on my part.
If you want to use Psychonauts Explorer with Psychonauts for Xbox you should download and use this fixed version.
The next version of Psychonauts Explorer is progressing nicely. John Doe has made a new audio decoder which is a big improvement on my old one. It decodes all the pc audio and fixes many of the problems with xbox audio. It also means that you will no longer need the Xbox ADPCM codec installed. I’m also making good progress with the .ppf level files. Hopefully in the next version you’ll be able to view and dump many of the images/textures from the individual levels.
Finally, after literally years of prevaricating, I’ve made a new site. Of course being all shiny and new its got all the latest 2002’s greatest features including an RSS news feed and comments system. Further down the page you’ll also notice a paypal button, where you can make a donation. I am unemployed and poor, with your help and a little more of this e-begging I could become slightly less poor and a little more drunk. You can make a difference.
Enjoy the new site, leave lots of comments, oh and I might release some more programs at some point too.
A program to extract, view and convert resources from the excellent game Psychonauts. Similar in function to Scumm Revisited, the program has many excellent features:
Some of the things that you can do with the latest version of Psychonauts Explorer:
- Open and dump files from .pkg, .ppf, .isb and .xwb archives.
- Display a preview of (dds) images.
- Save images as JPEG, BMP or PNG.
- Resize and apply a resampling filter to images.
- Extract and save music and speech as wav and ogg files.
- Use both the Pc and Xbox versions of Psychonauts.
- View the contents of many other Psychonauts files.
Get it here.