[Edit] Beta 4 is now released see here.
Its been almost 5 months since I said it was my intention to release new beta versions of USB Disk Ejector “as often as I can”. Sorry about that everyone, but 1.2 beta 2 is finally here.
There has been a huge number of features added and bugs quashed so I’m looking for as much testing and feedback as possible. So far its only been very briefly tested by me on Vista 32 bit. Please, please let me know how this beta performs. I want to know about problems, bugs, quirks, or even if it all works perfectly. Contact me, post in the comments or add an item to the issues tracker. Please include as much information as possible, including your version of Windows and if possible, the steps to reproduce a bug.
Click ‘Read the rest of this entry’ for the list of new features and the download link.
New since the last stable release:
- Support for Firewire drives/disks
- Support for card readers/flash memory cards (Cards are now ejected not the card reader as happened in previous versions)
- Auto-polling to detect when a new flash card is inserted
- Double right clicking on a drive opens an explorer window for the disk
- Much better notifications:
- Uses balloon hints in the taskbar for notifications instead of a messagebox
- Much better detection and explanation of the reasons for a failed eject
- Now notifies (via a balloon hint) when an eject is successful
- Automatically closes explorer windows related to the disk before ejecting (this stops a lot of the failed ejects in Vista)
- Can auto-close any applications running from the disk before ejection:
- Can do this using a safe ‘ask’ method or a brute force unsafe method
- Please note this closes applications that were launched from the ejecting disk. It currently does not close applications launched from elsewhere that have a file from the ejecting drive open.
- Eg – if you launch portable firefox from a usb stick and then eject the stick it should close portable firefox and eject successfully, but if you open a document on the pen drive in Word then it wouldnt be able to detect and close this.
- Hotkey support (can assign a hotkey to eject a drive based on its name or drive letter)
- New ‘no disks’ found icon – the old face icon apparently scared some people
- Added tray icon:
- Added popup menu to tray icon so you can right click and eject disks, similar to the behaviour of Windows’ ‘Safely remove hardware’ tray icon
- Smart auto-resizing of the program window to accommodate new disks/devices
- Better docking behaviour when the program window is in a corner of the screen
- Added ‘/NOSAVE’, ‘/CLOSEAPPS’ and ‘/CLOSEAPPSFORCE’ command line switches
- Fixed – font size in the options dialog on Windows XP
- Fixed – very rarely a device with many disks/partitions might not have all its disks detected correctly. The detection procedure is now threaded to stop this rare occurrence
- Fixed – if the program was set to read only – when it restarted in mobile mode and copied to the temp folder it couldn’t delete itself
- Options dialog added – options can now be set and saved. Click on ?more? then ?options? to show it.
- Added options to:
- Start the program minimized
- Remember the last size of the program window
- Remember the last position of the program window
- Autosize the program window
- Enable/disable balloon notifications
- Close to the system tray
- Minimize to the system tray
- Enable/disable eject notifications
- Use the standard windows eject notifications
- Close the program after a successful ejection
- Minimize the program after a successful ejection
- Control the adding and management of hotkeys
- Control the closure of any programs running from a drive before ejection
- Search for media cards (in card readers)