For those that are unaware, the setup program is a replacement installer for Escape From Monkey Island. while the launcher is an improved version of the launcher program that LucasArts shipped with the game. It has a number of features not present in the original launcher such as running in windowed mode and patching the game to run in a higher resolution. The launcher program is included with the installer.
Changes to the setup program:
- Now fully supports all language versions of the game. There is one file “i9n.m4b” that is only found in the non-English versions of the game. Previously this file wasn’t copied – this is now fixed.
- Changed the cd detection code to fix the problem that some people had when it couldn’t search through all their drives and find the cd.
Changes to the launcher program:
- Can now apply a no cd patch – so the cds don’t need to be in the drive to play.
- I resisted adding this for years due to concerns about piracy but now things have changed. The game is really old, its unavailable to buy and many computers no longer have a cd drive. It will work for every version of the game except Italian.
- The resolution patch has been updated to support the most common resolutions and to allow you to choose a custom resolution.
- Remember that the game wasn’t designed for this so there are some issues. See the readme for more information about this.
- The resolution patch has been improved:
- The game should now work in windowed mode when patched to a higher resolution. This doesn’t work for every resolution but works fine for most 4:3 resolutions
- Cutscene movies now scale up to fill more of the screen. The patch now edits the movies to make them play at double size when appropriate. The original videos are 640×480, while the doubled videos are 1280×960. So at resolutions of 1280×960 and above the launcher will patch the movie files to make them double size. Many thanks to Gannet for these resolution fixes.
- Added option to use sounds in the launcher – just like the original game launcher does. Its enabled by default.