Grim Fandango Dialog Editor
What is Grim Fandango Dialog Editor?:
A program that allows you to edit the subtitle text in Grim Fandango.
How to use it:
There are two different warnings that you might see.
- Click 'Open' and select a GRIM.TAB file. The dialog text will then be loaded into the program.
- Click 'Save Text' to export the dialog text to a text file.
- You can then load up this file in your favourite text editor and make whatever changes you like.
- When making changes the only thing that you mustn't change is the identification code at the beginning of the line. ('INTTX38') - Each line must have an ID code and a tab character separating the ID code and the text. You don't need to worry too much about this as the program will check the file when you import it again after editing.
- After you've made the changes, save the file, click the 'Load Text' button and select the text file to import it back into the program.
- When you do this, the program will check the file for any problems, if any are found, then they will appear in the log window at the bottom.
- 'Warning: Tab character not found on line 397' - this means that there isn't a tab character separating the ID code and the text. E.g. - 'moma070[TAB]I don't want to mess up my blade'. The warning will give you the line number of the problem, so just go to the line in a text editor, fix the problem and click 'Load Text' to import the file again.
- 'Cleanup: Removed empty line: 8414' - this means that there was a blank line found. You don't need to do anything about this - the program will automatically remove the empty line.
Finally, click the 'Save' button to create a new Grim.Tab file. Place the file in your Grim folder and run the game.
As far as I know, there aren’t any limits on the length of a line of dialog, but it’s possible that there may be some sort of maximum value.
In the original version of Grim Fandango (one that hasn’t been patched), the last line of Grim.Tab looks like this: 'úãâÿãåÿëêòâçèâë‚Ÿû–½¿·¡¦»±òƒ“ò¤ãâüÝÝÝž—‘Ÿ“€™'. The program will flag a warning about this line, as it doesn’t have any ID code; you should ignore this and leave the line alone as the game needs it. Better still; apply the patch as the patched version doesn’t have this problem.
Talk to me on irc in #monkey-island on Gamesurge
sk in the MixnMojo help forum