Curse Of Monkey Island Launcher
New in this version:
- Vista compatibility:
The launcher now automatically prompts to run as administrator when its started (this is required for the debug patch, since it usually needs to write to the program files dir).
The program icon now includes all sizes up to 256x256.
If running on Vista the launcher now uses vista fonts.
- Fixed a small memory leak.
- Cosmetic changes:
Interface redesigned, text and icons made clearer, changed the launcher images.
- New launcher icon:
Now uses the excellent CMI icon created by Thanius.
- 64 bit versions of Windows:
Now officially supported. The launcher has been tested on XP64 and Vista64.
- Old versions of Windows no longer officially supported:
Versions before XP (95/98/ME/2000) should be fine but the launcher hasnt been tested or designed with them in mind.
- Cutscene fix feature removed:
Newer versions of DirectX and newer versions of Windows mean that the fast cutscene bug no longer occurs.
What is Curse Of Monkey Island Launcher ?:
A replacement launcher program for The Curse Of Monkey Island (Monkey Island 3).
It has features not present in the original launcher:
- Can run CMI in windowed mode.
- Can make CMI run from hard drive (play without the cd's) and can automatically copy the required files to the hard drive.
- Supports all recent versions of Windows (XP, XP64, XP MCE, Vista, Vista64). Windows 98, ME and 2000 are not officially supported but should work correctly.
- Can enable CMI's debug mode. See the section below for more information on this. (Debug patch included by kind permission of Serge [Jimmi Thøgersen]).
- Loads one of 6 random images as the main launcher image - for added eye candy.
The program does not need to be installed and can be run from anywhere since it reads the registry values in order to find the location of CMI. Consequentally, Curse Of Monkey Island must be installed for the launcher to work correctly.
How to use it:
Usage should be fairly self-explanatory:
- Click either Play fullscreen or Play windowed to start the game.
- The Lucasarts readme button displays Lucasarts' CMI readme, while the Launcher readme button displays this readme.
- The status bar at the bottom of the launcher shows whether the game will be run from cd or hard drive.
Click Options to bring up the options menu.
- Close launcher on play:
If enabled, then the launcher closes when one of the play buttons is clicked.
- Run CMI from hard drive:
This governs whether the game is run from hard drive or cd. Click the button to switch between the two options.
If enabled, the launcher will first check that you have the required files on your hard drive, if not, then it prompts you to insert your CMI cd's and copies the files to hard drive for you (this requires approximately 1GB of disk space).
- Apply debug patch:
Loads Serge's CMI debug patch tool. Answer 'y' to all 3 questions to apply the patch.
- Remove debug patch:
Loads Serge's CMI debug patch removal tool. Answer 'y' to all 3 questions to remove the patch.
The CMI debug patch was made by Serge (Jimmi Thøgersen) and is included in this launcher with his permission.
The patch only works when the game is running from hard drive. When applied, all debug messages are displayed in the top left corner of the screen.
It also enables a number of ingame keys:
|Ctrl||Speed up the game|
|Shift+A||Choose a different actor|
|F9||Play low pickup animation|
|F10||Play high pickup animation|
|Shift+B||Make actor face to the back|
|F||Make actor face to the front|
|7||Cycle backwards through actor talk colour|
|8||Cycle forwards through actor talk colour|
|*||Display machine rating (this key may vary, if * doesnt work try ?)|
Windowed mode may be slow/jerky on some systems and certain parts of the game may be difficult to play in windowed mode (eg the cannon firing section).
Windowed mode does not work correctly on Windows XP and Vista, this is due to a bug in the game.
Credits and thanks to:
Jimmi Thøgersen (Serge`) for all his help over time, info about CMI windowed mode and for allowing me to include his CMI debug patch.
Launcher icon uses the CMI icon created by Thanius.
Readme, tick, cross and update icons from the Buff set by Mahttahan.
All my software is completely free. If you find this program useful please consider making a donation. This can be done on my website.